McMaster University was founded in 1887. The school was first located in Toronto, on Bloor Street West. Now the original building is used by the Royal Conservatory of Music. The first classes were held in 1890.
The University moved to Hamilton in 1930 because of the growth of the student population and the availability of land for expansion. The total undergraduate enrolment was 500 students.
Today, lecture hall, MDCL 1110, can accommodate 250 students or 1/2 of the total 1930’s student population.
This year, there is over 21,000 undergraduate students at the school.