The Remains of the Castle
In the early days of Hamilton’s economic development, business owners usually lived where they worked. However, as a few of them became very successful, and could afford to build a home separate from work.
Starting in the late 1840s and early 1850s, large estates were built just under the mountain. These included: Willows (1840s) for Judge O’Reilly; Arkeldun (1846) for R. Juson; Rock Castle (1850) for Alexander Carpenter; and Undermount (1855) for John Young. These masons required large staffs and many daughters of poor Irish families would earn extra money by working as maids and cooks.
The Castle, located at James Street South and Young barely survives as an example. The building was constructed around 1857.