The world of tall buildings finally arrived in Hamilton (Ont) in 1929 with the opening of the 18 storey (210 feet) Pigott building. As buildings got taller and taller, the need for elevators became ever greater and so it seems right that in 1927 Otis-Fensom Elevator Company moved their head office to Hamilton. The building of elevators created hundreds of jobs for Hamilton workers. Prior to the construction of the Pigott building, the location was occupied by the Commercial Centre build in 1856 and prior to that was the Canada Life Assurance Building in 1852.
This sketch is done with ink and gouache on a 24 by 36 inch canvas.