John Street at Main, the entrance to Cork-town.
Prior to the 1844, the only road that allow access to the Mountain was John Street. Also, it was the only street that allow access from the bay to Cork-town.
James Street had two bogs that blocked North-South traffic; one at Hunter and another at Barton. Irish immigrants would land at the docks in Port Hamilton and walk up John into Cork-town. Hopefully, finding family or friends to give them a place to stay.