The Former Court House Location
In the 19th century, a courthouse stood on this location and was a major architectural feature of the Cork-town landscape.
The original log cabin jail and court house was replaced with a large stone building in 1827. Over the next 50 years, this impressive building stood at the entrance to the Cork-town community. The distinctive roof lantern being visual in many landscape maps and early photographs.
In 1860, the Court house expanded with east and west wings for the visit of the Prince of Wales. It was at this time that the roof lantern was removed.
In 1889, the old stone court was torn down and replaced even larger building that stood on the same spot from 1879 to 1956. The building we see today was built in 1958 and served as a court house until the 1980s or 1990s.