This week: the Beach Strip Light House. The Light House is located on a strip of land between Hamilton Harbour and Lake Ontario. There has been a light house on this location since 1837. The stone structure and the brick house were built in 1858. The canal was built by the Irish between 1824 and 1827. Most of the workers came from the then recently completed Erie Canal. These Irish workers also founded Cork-Town, the Irish community in Hamilton, Ontario.