Around 1801, the Binkley Family purchased 800 acres between the campus and Dundas. They set aside land for a church and school. They also set aside land for a family graveyard. The first people to be buried at the Binkley cemetery were David (b. 1752) and Margaret (b. 1750) Barringer in 1803.
In the early years, Hamilton consisted mostly of farms. As a result, graveyards were typically devoted to one family. Located on the edge of the property where farming was difficult. The graveyard was often on a hill or overlooking a valley. The land was either sandy or offered good drainage.