The Binkley Hollow Cemetery is another beautiful graveyard located across the valley from the Binkley Pioneer cemetery.
In the campus archives, there is an interesting note by an unknown author that was written in the 1940s.
According to the story, Hiram Binkley had a quarrel with his family, likely the father, and he decided to start his own cemetery in 1854.
The Binkley Hollow Cemetery holds 34 monuments and overlooks the same valley and former marsh as the 1803 Binkley Cemetery.
As mentioned in an earlier posting, cold winters can pose a challenge to burying the dead, and this was also the Hiriam’s own burial.
Hiriam instructed his family to bury him facing east so he could welcome the day of resurrection and that he be sealed in cement.
Maybe he feared grave robbers or maybe he feared that his estranged relatives might want to re-bury him in the main family cemetery. Whatever the reasons, his wishes could not be followed because the winter was very cold and the cement would not set.
As far as can be determined, Hiriam still rests at peace, waiting judgement day with his side of the family.
Around 1801, the Binkley Family purchased 800 acres between the campus and Dundas. They set aside land for a church and school. They also set aside land for a family graveyard. The first people to be buried at the Binkley cemetery were David (b. 1752) and Margaret (b. 1750) Barringer in 1803.
In the early years, Hamilton consisted mostly of farms. As a result, graveyards were typically devoted to one family. Located on the edge of the property where farming was difficult. The graveyard was often on a hill or overlooking a valley. The land was either sandy or offered good drainage.
This is the official web site of the Save Century Manor Task Force 2 (CMTF2). This task force was created not only to draw attention to the existence of Century Manor, an important Hamilton heritage building in danger of demolition by neglect, but also to provide information on Century Manor and to gain support within and outside our community for our ongoing fight to save and preserve this heritage building through restoration and adaptive reuse.