A lost Grave

The former grave site of Elijah Forsyth, who died in 1829, Hamilton (Ont). Photo by @erskinec
The former grave site of Elijah Forsyth, who died in 1829, Hamilton (Ont). Photo by @erskinec

On Thursday, I wrote that a grave is a statement about place and family.

Another example is the lost grave of Elijah Forsyth.

In 1801, James Forsyth purchased 400 acres from Robert Hamilton for his son named, Caleb.

Twelve years later, Caleb divided up his land between his sons: Calib Jr and Elijah. Elijah got the western portion which is where the campus is located today.

According to unsourced notes that are located in the campus archives, Elijah, who a Methodist, held very extremes views.

On the morning of Oct 13, 1829, his extreme personality got the better of him. According to the notes, “he kissed his children before leaving the house. He then went into the woods and ended his life with a shotgun.”

Since it was suicide, the family had to bury him in unhallowed ground. There is a legend that he was buried where he died, a solitary grave overlooking a creek valley.

All in the Family – The 1803 Binkley Family Pioneer Cemetery in Hamilton (Ont)

The 1803 Binkley Pioneer Cemetery, Hamilton (Ont). Photo by @erskinec
The 1803 Binkley Pioneer Cemetery, Hamilton (Ont). Photo by @erskinec

Around 1801, the Binkley Family purchased 800 acres between the campus and Dundas. They set aside land for a church and school. They also set aside land for a family graveyard. The first people to be buried at the Binkley cemetery were David (b. 1752) and Margaret (b. 1750) Barringer in 1803.

Soundscapes Hamilton – Crows of St. Andrew’s Church Ancaster Ontario

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church – recorded Oct 10th, 2014.

The congregation was founded in 1826 by Rev. George Sheed who came from Scotland. In 1830, Rev. Sheed built a home on the Hermitage property, just a short distance down a country lane from the future church.

The original St. Andrew’s church was a framed building on a stone foundation. Construction started in 1832, but Sheed died before work could be completed. As a result, Rev. Sheed became the first person to be buried in the Church’s cemetery.

The wooden church was replaced by the current stone structure in 1874.