St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church – recorded Oct 10th, 2014.
The congregation was founded in 1826 by Rev. George Sheed who came from Scotland. In 1830, Rev. Sheed built a home on the Hermitage property, just a short distance down a country lane from the future church.
The original St. Andrew’s church was a framed building on a stone foundation. Construction started in 1832, but Sheed died before work could be completed. As a result, Rev. Sheed became the first person to be buried in the Church’s cemetery.
The wooden church was replaced by the current stone structure in 1874.
We often define landscapes by appearance, but they are also defined by sound.
Hunter and MacNab is an interesting mix of technology and history. The MacNab Street Church was built in 1854 and expressed the confidence and belief in progress and faith. By the 1890s, the Toronto-Hamilton and Buffalo Railway had ripped through the heart of Hamilton with railway tracks that divided rich and poor communities. Less than 20 feet from the front door of the church, the physical barriers to the downtown would only grow with the development of the car and the increase road traffic on Hunter Street.
Equal to the physical barriers are the sound barriers. Here are sounds of trains and cars that separate the Downtown business districts from the Durand neighborhood.
The first sound track marks the arrival of the commuter train from Toronto.
The second clip records the sound of the accessible crosswalk, along with the early evening car traffic.